Saturday, 16 December 2017

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye Review

Hi everyone,

Why did I choose to review something from Jack Daniels?
Well, I thought that this one could be different. It’s a slightly higher proof and it’s using a majority of rye in the mashbill. Also, we recently bought from JD Rye barrels at work to mature the whisky in and I was curious what effect it might have on our whisky. So there’s a professional angle here too. I’m not just torturing myself for the fun of it…
Alright, maybe a little.
I have had the standard JD before, but it remains one of the 30ish whiskies I haven’t written notes on.
 
Jack Daniels Single Barrel Rye 45%
Colour: Bronze
Body: Medium
Nose: Wine gums, chewy orange sweets, corn, very soft spice, a slight off note... Putty? Slight rotting trash bag?
Taste: Soft, sweet orange, wine gums, rye bread, pepper and clove. Dry. Slight off note again, that trash bag is back.
Finish: Medium/Long length. The off note intensifies with rubber too. Not nice.
70% rye, the other 30% is presumably trash bags fed into the grist mill… Can’t say I can recommend this one. More to come on the low scoring American whisky front my friends!
56/100

Thanks for reading!

American Review #49
Whisky Network Review #612

American Average: 69.6
Network Average: 74.6
Best Score: 92
Worst Score: 22
0-49 Terrible
50-59 Bad
60-64 Just About OK
65-69 Ok to Good
70-74 Good
75-79 Very Good
80-84 Excellent
85-89 Superb
90+ Magnificent

Full Disclosure Disclaimer: I currently work as a Brand Ambassador for Penderyn Distillery. The views expressed here are purely my own and do not reflect the views of Penderyn Distillery or The Welsh Whisky Company. I try to maintain as much objectivity as I can but feel free to take my reviews with as big a pinch of salt as you like. Furthermore, my rating scale is NOT based on a Parker type wine scoring scale or a school/college/university % or A-F grade score. You can find more on my scoring here. I apologise for any seemly low or 'bad' scores given with my system and am sorry I can't say only nice things. Please keep in mind that I am ethically compromised and am unable to produce 100% unbiased reviews.

No comments:

Post a comment

VLOG